These are primarily links which will open in a new window. Please contact Dr. Earhart at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have problems accessing any of them.
Definitions and General Resources
- "Transcendentalism," from Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
- Chronology of American Transcendentalism
- The Concord Magazine (current and back articles on Concord area)
- Author Index to ESQ Articles, 1972-2000, Volumes 18-46.
- Transcendentalism: Bibliography.. Cambridge History of English and American Literature.
- Making of America. Presents many periodicals that the Transcendentalists read and wrote for, including The Atlantic Monthly, The New-England Magazine, and the North American Review. These can also be viewed as html files.
- Travel Guide to Transcendentalism. A Shepherd College class web project focused on the different places where the Transcendentalists lived.
- New England Transcendentalism. From the "sage-of-the-age" site.
- Nineteenth Century Precursors of the 1960s.
- Transcendentalism--American. Fields of Knowledge Infography.
- Essays Before a Sonata by Charles Ives. [Emerson, Hawthorne, Alcotts, Thoreau]
Social and Historical Context:
- 19th Century American Literary, Historical, and Cultural Studies: Online Resources. Washington State University.
- Nineteenth Century in Print: The Making of America in Books and Periodicals. Library of Congress.
- Women in America: 1820-1842.
- Transcendentalist Women, [Jone Johnson Lewis].
- Bibliographical Essay on Anarchism and Feminism [Wendy McElroy].
- Fugitive Slave Act
- "Liquid Fire Within Me": Language, Self and Society in Transcendentalism and early Evangelicalism, 1820-1860 [UVa MA thesis by Ian Finseth]
- A Brief History of Nature and the American Identity [UVa Project]
- A Romantic Natural History. Ashton Nichols, Dickinson College.
- Seneca Falls Women's Rights Convention. Smithsonian Institution.
- The John Brown Story (the Valley of the Shadow Project)
- William Lloyd Garrison on the Death of John Brown.
- American Whig Party (1834-1856) The political background of Transcendentalism.
- Political Ferment Stirs the Nation From An Outline of American History.
- George Ripley, Review of James Martineau's Rationale of Religious Inquiry (1836).
- The Brook Farm Community.
- "Brook Farm." from Years by Experience by Georgiana Bruce Kirby.
Resources on Transcendental Roots
- Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Good overview of German
Idealism, and Berkeley, etc.
- Selections from Sampson Reed's "Observations on Growth of the Mind"
- Values for Emerson in the Swedenborg System (Kenneth Cameron)
- "Swedenborg's Influence on Ralph Waldo Emerson" by Barry Halterman.
- Writings of Emanual Swedenborg.
- East Meets West: Oriental Seeds in Occidental Soil. by Swami B. G. Narasingha and Satyaraja dasa (Steven Rosen).
- Selected quotes from Coleridge relevant to Nature.
- Resources on Samuel Taylor Coleridge from literaryhistory.com.
See Author pages for other web resources
- "Ralph Waldo Emerson," from Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
- Links to books and on-line articles on Emerson. [UUA Bookstore Site]
- The drop too much: Emerson's eccentric circle. Article by James W. Tuttleton, The New Criterion Online.
- :Still Ahead of His Time", Smithsonian Magazine, May 2003, site on Emerson.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson Excellent overview of Emerson's life and works on-line, from A Student's History of American Literature by Edward Simmons.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson. Andreas Teuber, Department of Philosophy, Brandeis University.
- Robert Richardson's Emerson: The Mind on Fire A review of this outstanding book on Emerson.
- From Kant to Emerson: A Transcontinental Exploration of the Evolution of Transcendentalism [RWE.org].
- A Tribute to Ralph Waldo Emerson [Roberto Piccoli, in English and Italian].
- Articles about Emerson's Writing. [Jone Johnson Lewis]
- Emerson's Philosophy of Education by Sanderson Beck.
- "Henry David Thoreau," from Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
- Henry David Thoreau On-line. A thorough collection of Thoreau's works in html, including some correspondence and many poems.
- A Reading Group/Discussion Guide to Walden. Richard J. Schneider, to accompany Bill McKibben's Beacon Press edition of Walden.
- Lectures on Henry David Thoreau. Audio.
- Henry David Thoreau An overview of his life and works from A Student's History of American Literature by Edward Simmons.
Index to Thoreau's Journals. Ray Angelo.
- Thoreau's Pencils by John Leinhard.
- Thoreau and Self-Realization by Richard Amero.
- The "Domestic Air" of Wilderness: Henry Thoreau and Joe Polis in the Maine Woods by Tom Lynch [Weber Studies, 1997]
- Reflections on Walden After 150 Years. The Writings of Henry D. Thoreau Site, 1995.
- Analysis and Notes on Walden. Ken Kifer.
- The Walden Cabin Project. An "authentic" modern construction of Thoreau's cabin.
- A Catalog of Thoreau's Surveys in the Concord Free Public Library
- Thoreau's Career as a Lecturer. Brad Dean.
- Cafaro, Philip. "Thoreau on Science and System." Philosophy and the Environment (1998 Conference of Twentieth World Congress of Philosophy.)
- Walden CD (Ken Pederson) Hear this music inspired by Walden.
- "Henry D. Thoreau." John Burroughs. The Century, July 1882.